My Guide Website?
Paris: Small-Group Catacombs Tour with Skip-the-Line Entry75 Reviews
Descend into the macabre and mysterious underbelly of Paris on a guided tour of its catacombs. Learn about the maze of tunnels and their history as you follow your guide through the myriad of bones.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Paris:If youʻre booking your trip to Paris last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Paris: 3-Course Dinner & Show at Paradis Latin Cabaret
- Disneyland® Multi-Day Entry Ticket
- From Paris: Day Trip to Champagne with 8 Tastings & Lunch
- Paris: Covered Passages Audio-Guided Walking Tour
- From Paris: Small-Group Loire Valley Castles Full-Day Tour
- Take a small-group tour of the Paris Catacombs
- Enjoy skip-the-line access to the popular attraction
- Have exclusive access to restricted areas
- Learn about the catacombs from your expert guide
DescriptionBeneath the dazzling lights of modern Paris lie the devilishly dark catacombs. On this small-group tour have skip-the-line entry and exclusive access to restricted areas. Explore the 200-mile maze of remains from roughly 6 million Parisians with an expert guide. Begin with a bone-chilling descent down the complex’s 133-step staircase. Your guide will explain how these tunnels were used in the 13th-century to quarry limestone for buildings as grand as Notre Dame. As you make your way through the narrow tunnels, learn why bad weather in the 1780s forced Parisians to bury their dead here. During the tour, have plenty of time to admire the Catacombs’ disturbingly detailed bone decorations. From religious iconography to hearts, workers found many ways to “beautify” the bones housed in this complex. There is, however, one decoration that will really make your spine tingle. Inside the popular Crypt of the Passion take a few moments to gaze at “The Barrel,” which is constructed out of various skeletal remains. In addition to housing the dead, the Catacombs played an important role during many significant historic events. Your guide will tell you tales of the German Wehrmacht and the French Resistance who both used part of the Catacombs as wartime bunkers during World War II. Also, learn about its relationship to the French Revolution. If you are not afraid of ghosts, then ask your guide about the grave of the doorman Philibert Aspairt who passed away in the Catacombs in the 18th century. Learn about the cataphiles who have caused a stir in recent years for hosting huge raves, swimming parties, and an extensive network in this underground city of the dead. Keep your eyes peeled for graffiti left by cataphiles on your Catacombs Tour.
IncludesSkip-the-line entry to the Paris Catacombs Professional, local, expert guide Small-group tour of only 6 people
- On rare occasions, an exception may be made to the 6 people per a group policy in order to accommodate participants traveling together as to not split groups